Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Rocket Kebabs - Mt. Albert

A hectic schedule at the moment forces me to write a very quick post tonight. Since this is a quick post, what better to review than one of the solutions to food in a hurry... the takeaway joint.

Takeaways don't have to be greasy, unhealthy meals. There are a few places around that serve up good healthy (or healthy-ish) food that's perfect for a quick convenient meal when the pantry's bare or you just can't be bothered cooking. Rocket kebabs is one of those places that showed up a couple of years ago (or thereabouts) in Mt. Albert opposite Rocket Park on New North Road.

Since they opened their doors (and very large windows) the locals of Mt. Albert were lucky enough to find a gem in this little kebab place. Located between the dairy and the local fish and chip shop, Rocket Kebabs created a name for themselves as the place to go for great kebabs in Mt. Albert. Of particular note was their Souvlakis, which were spicy and flavoursome and made Rocket Kebabs a great place to turn too when in need of a quick meal. So profficient were they at their art, that a friend from the North Shore declared that they would travel all the way to Mt. Albert just for their souvlakis.

Sadly however, this all ended recently. Rocket Kebabs is now under new management (or new ownership) and the quality of food has tragically plumeted since the change. The new operators smother everything in sauce, so that the taste of the roasted meats is lost amongst a sea of yogurt, chilli or other sauces. The level of service has declined too. Gone is the jovial smiling former owner. In his place we now have the somewhat unfriendly, brusque manager. On my last visit, I presented my loyalty card which promises a free kebab after 8 meals had been purchased. The card was full, so I was attempting to redeem my free kebab, as I had done numerous times under the previous management. However the new manager told me that I could not have my free kebab unless I purchased another meal at the same time. I pointed out to him that the card said that i was entitled to a free kebab after 8 meals had been purchased, and that there was no mention of any requirement to purchase another meal at the time of redemption in order to redeem the kebab. I also mentioned that I had done this several times before in the past. The manager said that even though it wasn't written on the card, that was what he meant. We debated the point a little longer until he finally agreed, begrudgingly, that the card wasn't clear and that he would honour the deal.

This was just one example of the decline of Rocket Kebabs over my last three visits. Quite sad really, given the heights they once achieved in quality of food and quality of service. I may return when the pantry is bare or a busy schedule leaves no time for cooking, but it will be necessity rather choice that sees me return to Rocket Kebabs.

Vital Stats:
Address: 762 New North Road, Mt. Albert
Phone: (09) 846 2300
Website: N/A
Class of Restaurant: Takeaway
Parking: Plenty of on-street parking on neighbouring Alberton Ave, Kintenui St or Wairere Ave. There is also a 15 minute parking zone directly outside the shop

No comments:

Post a Comment